Robert Tomas, D.O., FACOS
Board Certified General Surgeon
AAAASF Certified Surgical Center
Fort Myers, Florida
Desarda No-Mesh Hernia Repair Surgery in Fort Myers, FL
Looking for an alternative to typical hernia mesh surgery? At U First Health® & Rejuvenation, also known as the Desarda Hernia Center, USA®, Dr. Robert Tomas is the most experienced surgeon in the United States to perform the mesh-free Desarda technique. Find out how we revolutionize hernia repair as you know it at our practice in Fort Myers, FL.
Can You Repair a Hernia Without Mesh? The Answer: Desarda
Thanks to the Desarda technique, Dr. Tomas can repair your hernia without the risks associated with mesh. Traditional no mesh hernia repair methods like the Bassini tend to fail because they use old hernia concepts. The Canadian method Shouldice techniques have been around for many years and have good results, however they use stainless steel wire. Having stainless steel wire is as bad as having mesh in your groin.
Many types of surgical mesh have a history of defects and recalls that can put the patient at harm’s risk. It also takes years for the body to form a natural layer of tissue around the mesh and fully protect organs from slipping through. One other problem with mesh is that it shrinks over time and leaves you unprotected, and this leads to recurrence.
Benefits of Desarda No-Mesh, Tension-Free Hernia Repair
Desarda hernia repair offers the following benefits as an alternative to hernia mesh surgery:
- No harmful mesh: Plastic surgical mesh can have unpredictable effects if it comes from an unreliable source. While the FDA recalls most defective mesh products, mistakes do happen in the supply chain. Desarda repair uses your own muscle tissue as a strong and natural replacement for mesh.
- Minimal tension during surgery: Most mesh-free hernia repair techniques involve tension from pulling on the edges of the hernia to close it. The Desarda method allows you to benefit from low-tension and mesh-free techniques by covering the hernia with an alternative to mesh. The muscle graft sits on the floor or bottom of the groin and acts as a bridge between the ligament and internal oblique muscle. This muscle graft provides you with a brand new form of support using your own tissue, and it is not on tension.
- Natural tissue use: During Desarda repair, Dr. Tomas takes part of the patient’s abdomen muscle tissue and uses it as a natural barrier for the protruding organ. As a result, it can lower the recurrence rate and eliminates the risk of rejection associated with surgical mesh.
- Low recurrence rate: Out of the more than 3,500 surgeries conducted at the Desarda Hernia Center of the United States®, less than 1% have had a recurrence. Most of these recurrences happened within the first few years after surgery.
- Absorbable sutures: Many surgeons that perform traditional Shouldice no mesh hernia repair use stainless steel sutures that remain in your body. Dr. Tomas uses absorbable sutures that disappear over time.
- Flat-rate price: We offer our Desarda procedures at flat-rate prices. There’s no need to deal with insurance or co-pays.
What Is the Desarda Hernia Repair Process?
The Desarda procedure involves the use of a muscle graft to repair a hernia. When you have a hernia, an organ — usually the stomach or intestine — pushes through the muscle that covers it. Mesh-based techniques cover this hole with the mesh product.
During a Desarda repair, Dr. Tomas takes part of your external oblique aponeurosis, a muscle covering your groin, and uses it to cover the hole instead. A healthy external oblique aponeurosis can provide support for the groin floor and protection or covering for the exposed organ.
U First Health & Rejuvenation — The Desarda Hernia Center of the United States®
U First Health & Rejuvenation is the only Desarda Hernia Center of the United States®. More than 3,500 patients have come to us from across the world to receive our cutting-edge procedure. Our team specializes specifically in no-mesh hernia repair and delivering its unique benefits. With our revolutionary treatment, you can avoid the potential complications associated with mesh techniques.
About Dr. Robert Tomas and His Team
Robert E. Tomas, D.O., FACOS, is board-certified in general surgery and has more than 20 years of practice. He has more than a decade of experience performing the Desarda technique on thousands of patients.
During his time at Gulf Coast Medical Center, he performed the facility’s first single-site gallbladder surgery. He also served as Chief of Staff at Spohn Hospital – Alice in Texas. Dr. Mohan Desarda, the creator of the Desarda technique, officially recognizes Dr. Tomas as the sole American provider of Desarda hernia repair.
The U First Health & Rejuvenation hernia repair team also includes experienced nurses, surgical assistants and surgical techs ready to relieve your hernia symptoms. They perform an average of 10 to 15 hernia surgeries per week.
Types of Hernia Repairs We Perform
At U First Health & Rejuvenation, we perform three types of Desarda mesh-free hernia repairs:
- Inguinal: Hernias in the groin, known as inguinal hernias, account for about two-thirds of adult hernias.
- Umbilical: Due to the umbilical cord’s weak blood vessels, a hernia can also form near the bellybutton as an umbilical hernia.
- Ventral/incisional: While ventral hernias occur anywhere in the abdomen besides the bellybutton, incisional hernias appear at the site of a previous surgery.
What to Expect Before, During and After No-Mesh Hernia Surgery
Our team will support you before, during and after your Desarda hernia surgery. Find out what you can expect as one of our hernia repair patients.
Before you receive your Desarda surgery, you can expect to:
- Get a consultation: We offer free consultations over the phone and in-person. Our team will arrange a consultation process that works best for your location.
- Pay a deposit: When you book your appointment, we will request a $300 deposit. This money will go toward your total surgery cost and help us give you better care.
- Arrange your travel and hotel (if needed): If you live outside of Fort Myers, you will need to arrange any necessary travel and hotel logistics. Our partnership with the Spring Hill Marriott enables us to save you money on your hotel stay. You can also get complimentary travel to and from the airport and surgical center.
Right before and during your surgery date, you’ll go through these steps:
- Get blood work and an EKG: The price of our hernia surgery includes pre-operation blood work and an EKG (if indicated). These procedures allow us to verify your eligibility for surgery.
- Undergo anesthesia: Depending on your preferences and health profile, you’ll receive local or general anesthesia for your surgery. Most patients have intravenous sedation with local anesthesia, which involves numbing the area where we operate after you are asleep. If you need general anesthesia, you will be unconscious during the procedure.
- Receive surgery: After we administer anesthesia, Dr. Tomas and his team will perform Desarda hernia repair.
After your Desarda procedure, you’ll need to take part in post-operative care. Most patients can drive and return to work one week after surgery and lift objects over 10 pounds after six weeks. Right after your surgery, you will:
- Have someone drive you home or you can stay in the area: If you live within a few hours from Fort Myers, you can have someone drive you home. We encourage patients from out of town to stay in the area for two to three days.
- Take care of yourself: Carefully follow the post-operation instructions that you will receive from our office. Post-operative self-care includes taking medicine and looking after your incision.
- Attend your post-operative appointment: Within a few days, or a week, you’ll come back to our office for your post-operative appointment. During this visit, we will check your incision and monitor your progress. If you come from out of town, you can go back home after this appointment.
Schedule an Appointment With One of the Best Hernia Surgeons in the U.S.
We welcome patients from all over the world to visit Dr. Tomas for Desarda No Mesh hernia surgery. Get a free phone consultation or discounted surgery by booking an appointment online or calling 239.266.2925.
You are in good hands for any surgery at U First Surgery Center in Ft. Myers, Florida!
Robert Tomas, D.O., FACOS
General Surgery, No Mesh Hernia Repair Expert, Cosmetic Surgery
Dr. Desarda and staff at Desarda Hernia Center. U.S.A.
Dr. Mohan Desarda and Dr. Robert Tomas
A postoperative hernia patient on Dr. Desarda’s recent visit to our center
The Operating Team
(from left) Joyce(recovery nurse),Kathleen(circulating nurse),Dr. Esteban(surgical assist),Dr. Tomas(surgeon), Sabrina(CRNA), Erin(surgical tech)
Dr. Mohan Desarda performing the Desarda Technique for an Inguinal Hernia (Video Below)