*Patient Results will vary.*
Feminine Cosmetic Surgical / Thermiva ®
This procedure, In-office, is offered to correct or improve upon redundant /lax /bothersome tissue of the vagina and/or labia minora. For a variety of reasons, we may have excessive or lax tissue in this area which affects us as individual women in how we feel physically (even causing recurrent vaginal irritations) or psychologically. A minor surgical treatment with limited downtime but beneficial results.
HRT or BHRT may be delivered in a variety of methods including oral/sublingual, transdermal creams, vaginal and sterile pellet insertion.
Anatomy of the Vulva
The vulva (Latin for womb or covering) consists of several layers that cover and protect the sexual organs and urinary opening. The fleshy outer lips of the vulva — the labia majora — are covered with pubic hair and contain fat that helps cushion the area. Inside the labia majora are the thinner, more pigmented and delicate flaps of skin called the labia minora. The labia minora join at the top to enclose the clitoris. The labia majora, labia minora, and clitoris are made up of erectile tissue, that is, tissue that can become engorged with blood. The area between the labia minora, the vestibule, contains the openings to the urethra and the vagina, as well as the Bartholin’s glands, which are located on either side of the vaginal opening and produce lubricant for the vestibule. The flesh between the vaginal opening and the anus (not part of the vulva but often involved in vulvar skin problems) is the perineum. This is where the incision called an episiotomy is sometimes made during childbirth.
Damage from vaginal birth can diminish sensation during intercourse, reduce sexual satisfaction and change the relationship between partners. Laxity of the skin is caused by numerous factors and no area is immune to this natural decline. Heat has become a standard for promoting collagen remodeling, which helps strengthen the structural support columns for the skin, improving the integrity of the skin.
Thermi is a leading developer and manufacturer of thermistor-regulated energy systems for medical and aesthetic applications. Thermi has mastered the delivery of controlled-heating. The technology uses real-time temperature monitoring and regulation, ensuring that the therapeutic temperature delivered to the sub-q layer is reached, but more importantly, maintained. Thermi products are based on the science of heat, using SmartTip technology to enable physicians to use temperature as an endpoint.
ThermiVa, the most current Thermi procedure; using the “Science of Heat” in a new, non-invasive, non-surgical procedure has mastered the delivery of controlled- heating. The Technology uses real-time temperature monitoring and regulation ensuring the therapeutic temperature delivered to the sub-q layer is reached, but more importantly, maintained.
ThermiVa contracts tissues to a tighter bundle. It encourages collagen production and may help in tissue and nerve healing. Radiofrequency’s therapeutic effects on muscular and tissue healing is well known and has been used in physical therapy practices for decades. Physicians who have used ThermiVa have reported results in one or more of these areas:
- Vaginal Laxity: to tighten the vagina at the introitus and the full length of the vaginal canal.
- Vulvar/Labial Laxity: to tighten the labial tissuesand reduce noticeable sag.
- Vaginal/Vulvar Dryness or Atrophic Vaginitis: to add softer and thicker skin and relieve dryness without the use of hormones.
- Mild to Moderate Stress Incontinence: to reduce accidents and leakage, and possibly reduce urge symptoms. Used with consistent Kegel exercises, ThermiVa may reduce or eliminate the need for mesh slings.
- Sexual Dysfunction: to increase sensitivity and strengthen muscular contractions, leading to greater sexual satisfaction for women and their partners. The procedure takes approx. 10 minutes for labia majora treatment and three sessions of 15-20 minutes each for vaginal treatment, one month apart. Effects last an average of 9 to 12 months. Most patients will choose to have maintenance treatments 6 to 12 months apart. ThermiVa treatments are non-invasive, and require no anesthesia. There is no downtime. Women can resume their normal sexual activity the same day.